A lot has gone on these last 10 days.
When Aida and Christian first got to Houston on Friday the 8th, Christian had not dialyzed for two days. Fortunately they were able to get access in Houston and got him on the machines - pulling a full 4.8 lbs of fluid from him.
Over the course of the next few days there was still significant difficulty getting access in the one port we had been having trouble with. It was decided to definitely create the third port.
Christian held a tremendous amount of anxiety with this, holding out for a day or two. Finally, working with the child-life specialists, he proposed to sign a contract that he would the do the third port if Aida was allowed to try one more day on the regular port to get access easily.
Well that kind of put Aida in a pickle but we knew it was a tough situation anyway. So she tried this last attempt on Tuesday but was unable to get access. It took them about 5 attempts.
So they started on Wednesday with the sharp needle creating the third access port. It actually went a lot smoother than Christian expected and that was great.
To date, they have done the sharp needle for three days. I believe the plan is to do it again today and then go to the blunt needle for Tues and Wednesday.
If all goes well, they should be able to head home on Wednesday.